1. Title, Journal and Authors
Title: Numerical analysis of performance of ideal counter-current flow pressure retarded osmosis
Authors: Wenjuan Yanga,b, Lianfa Songc,*, Jianqiang Zhaoa,b, Ying Chena,b, Bo Hud
a. Key Laboratory of Subsurface Hydrology and Ecological Effects in Arde Region, Ministry of Education, Chang’an University
b. School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Chang’an University
c. Department of Civil, Environmental, and Construction Engineering, Texas Tech University
d. School of Civil Engineering, Chang’an University
- This paper demonstrated that the developed procedure works well no matter equilibrium is established in the system or not.
- The change of flow rates and salt concentrations along the membrane channels for any feed fractions can be easily obtained with the numerical procedure.
- Membrane area smaller than 400 m2 is not sufficiently large for the system to reach the equilibrium. To make both draw and feed solutions reach the equilibrium, the membrane are should be larger than 500 m2.
- In terms of specific energy, a system in the assumption of critical feed fraction showed the best performance. However, this trend could be not applied to the power density. For power density, the lowest feed fraction case was proved as the best one
3. Application to research
- These numerical solutions can provide detailed insight information into the process that are critical to understand the performance and to improve the design of PRO system.