DAILY PAPER REVIEW

Power generation with pressure retarded osmosis: An experimental and theoretical investigation...

1.Title, Journal and Authors

Title: Power generation with pressure retarded osmosis: An experimental and theoretical investigation

Authors: Andrea Achilli a, Tzahi Y. Cathb, Amy E. Childressa,∗Sybrand J. Metzb, Kitty Nymeijer c, Cees J.N. Buisman a,b

a Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Nevada Reno, Mail Stop 258, Reno, NV 89557, USA

b Division of Environmental Science and Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO 80401, USA

2.Summary

PRO is emerging as the next generation of renewable energy. Thus, the PRO-related research is actively under way. In PRO, the power density which means power generating per unit membrane area and concentration polarization are very important factor to determine the PRO performance. In this paper, power density of each cases which are various draw solution and feed solution condition were measured and compared these experiment data with theoretical data. Although the experiment data size was small, but it fit very well with theoretical data. Consequently, the model was made with solute resistivity, water permeability, mass transfer coefficient and maximum power density as operating variables.

3. Application to research

No matter how, I study about PRO, RO-PRO hybrid or RED the efficiency of PRO is very important. Low efficiency means nothing in engineering and I should compare RED and PRO efficiency if I study RED.

There was no reliable PRO experimental data before this paper. This model can be used to my PRO study or I can make better model with more experimental data set.

4. Contact

Chansik Park (Integrated Ph.D. program)

Environmental Systems Engineering Lab.
Department of Environmental Science & Engineering
Gwangju Institute Science and Technology
1 Oryong-dong Buk-gu Gwangju, 500-712, Korea

Phone : +82-62-715-2461
E-mail : 14pcs@gist.ac.kr

첨부 (0)