DAILY PAPER REVIEW

20180723 Thermodynamic and Energy Efficiency Analysis of Power Generation from Natural...

1.Title, Journal and Authors

Title: Thermodynamic and Energy Efficiency Analysis of Power Generation from Natural Salinity Gradients by Pressure Retarded Osmosis

Journal: Environmental Science & Technology

Authors: Ngai Yin Yip and Menachem Elimelech*

Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06520-8286, United States 

2.Summary

The origin of salinity gradient power generation is the mixing Gibbs free energy when two different concentration solution are mixed. It makes huge amount of green energy. If we can utilize the energy, which is derived by mixing process, the word energy shortage will disappear. Ironically, the salinity gradient power generation, especially PRO process, needs the energy for transforming generated energy to utilizable energy.

We have usually (or always) used semipermeable membrane to make pressure. The pressure of water is the very before form of electricity. However, in this process, frictional losses are always attended because of membrane resistance. The one of the goal of PRO is reducing the frictional energy losses and extracting energy as much as we can.

Frictional losses and extracting energy are derived by thermodynamics when we focus to volume change, pressure change and concentration change.

3. Application to research

As mentioned above, lots of mixing Gibbs energy is gone because of membranes processes and mechanical processes. I research topic is making a new salinity gradient power generation process or methodology. To check the feasibility of my topic, I should compare the effectiveness between mine and PRO process, which is the closest approach to commercialization. Maybe there is another way without membrane process.

4. Contact

Chansik Park (Integrated Ph.D. program)

Environmental Systems Engineering Lab.
Department of Environmental Science & Engineering
Gwangju Institute Science and Technology
1 Oryong-dong Buk-gu Gwangju, 500-712, Korea

Phone : +82-62-715-2461
E-mail : 14pcs@gist.ac.kr

첨부 (0)