1. Title, Journal and Authors
- Title : The phytoplankton succession in the lower part of hypertrophic Nakdong River(Mulgum), South Korea
- Journal : Hydrobiologia
- Authors : Kyong Ha, Hyun-Woo Kim & Gea-Jae Joo
- The succession of phytoplankton in Nakdong River, was explained by the weather and meteorological condition.
- In 1994 summer, there was drought in lower part of Nakdon River, which results the severe bloom of cyanobacteria, microcystis.
- Each cyanobacteria has optimal temperature for growth. Aphanizomenon (15 ~ 20), Anabaena (20 ~ 25), Anabaena and Microcystis (25 ~ 35).
- Zooplankton grazing also affects the phytoplankton abundance in fall
- when, Phosporus is limited, cyanobacteria has the advantage for competition
- Usually in Korea, Nitrogen is not the limiting factors because of its abundancy
3. Application to research
- It shows the dominant species of phytoplankton and the factors affects their dominancy in Korea
- it explains the reason for cyanobacteria dominancy in summer, diatom in fall. it can be referenced, when do the researches about cyanobacteria abundancy especially in Korea.
Sungho Shin (Ph.D. program)
Environmental Systems Engineering Lab.
School of Environmental Science & Engineering
Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology
1 Oryong-dong Buk-gu Gwangju, 500-712, Korea
Email : email@example.com