1. Title, Journal and Authors
- Title: A novel remote sensing algorithm to quantify phycocyanin in cyanobacterial algal blooms
- Journal : Environmental Research Letters
- Authors : S Mishra1 and D R Mishra2
- Affiliation :
1: Dow Agrosciences LLC, Indianapolis, IN 46268, USA
2: Department of Geography, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
- This paper presents a new algorithm to predict phycocyanin pigment concentration in inland waters.
- The methodology in this paper suggested a new coefficient (ψ) which is called PC3.
- The PC3 can help to isolate only the characteristic PC absorption features at 620nm since the characteristics absorption has uncertainty due to the residual chlorophyll-a absorption.
- The results predicted by the algorithm show better performance than any other algorithms. In addition, PC3 eliminates the nonlinear sensitivity issue of PC algorithms by compensating for the confounding effect of Chl-a at the PC absorption band
- Therefore it considerably increases the accuracy of the PC prediction algorithm.
3. Application to research
- The methodology to estimate PC3 can be applied to eliminate the nonlinear sensitivity issue of water quality predicting algorithms from the remotely sensed data.
- Therefore, the introduction of the coefficient will have a positive impact on studies remote sensing inland water and cyanobacterial harmful algal blooms.
Heewon Jeong (Ph.D. program)
Environmental Systems Engineering Lab.
School of Environmental Science & Engineering
Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology
1 Oryong-dong Buk-gu Gwangju, 500-712, Korea
Email : email@example.com